Welcome to Uncorked

I was born and raised in Indonesia and it was our Christmas holidays to Australia that introduced me to the wine world. We spent our time touring the Mornington Peninsula vineyards, indulging in some of the finest wines I had ever been exposed to. Every Christmas for the past 10 years we would venture back and visit our favorite wineries and culinary wizards, always seeming to uncover a couple new jems.

After graduating with a BSc from the University of Alberta, still not sure what the hell I was going to do with it...I had an epiphany, while in the shower of all places. Why don't I study wine?? It seemed so obvious. It was then that I decided to swallow the painful rebuttal from my folks, and follow my heart, for once in my life!

I moved to St. Catharines Ontario, and enrolled in the Cold Climate Oenology and Viticulture Program at Brock University. I graduated last year with flying colors...a bumpy road at times but all worth it in the end!

I have just recently returned from working a 2 and a half month harvest in the Yarra Valley and was able to pay patronage to my dear friend and winemaker, the muse behind my quest to one day become a successful winemaker.

Since my return I have thrown myself in the ISG program, and hope to complete the Sommelier Diploma by sometime next year. I have a lot in the making right now so I thought what better way to keep myself sane than to document my journey along the way. I don't know exactly where I'm headed but I know I'm excited in the now and for the future.







Search This Blog

Pages

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Village Intro

I should also mention that at the moment I'm working at a lil boutique wine store by the name of Village Wines, in Kitsilano. It's a cosy nook only a few blocks from where I live. It's convenience at its best I suppose and stocked full of some of the best VQA wines BC has to offer. We're consignment also so forget those hefty markups!
So why Village? Well I'll tell you. Besides the obvious logistics of the location, coming from Ontario, I felt it was ofcourse necessary to start getting familiar with some of the cult wineries out in BC. I was always exposed to the larger producers out East, you know Blasted Church, Inniskilin, N'kimip, Osoyoos Larose, Mission Hill, just to name a few, but it was the little guys making big waves whom I was more interested in getting to know. So what better way than to work in an all exclusive BC wine store. I had just returned from a summer over in Indonesia, visiting my parents and missed the beginning of the harvest recruitment. I had a shiny new mortgage and needed a paycheck pronto. The truth be known, I've fallen in love with Village and the close knit community that keeps coming back day after day. My regulars as I like to call them. The people that gaze aimlessly into my eyes, wondering what the hell they're going to pair with their proscuitto wrapped halibut or cherry braised lamb shank (my last two customers) It's sometimes hard to abstain from almost immediate salivation but I manage to compose myself and then I disapear for a few seconds while I imagine myself eating their beautiful meal at my own dinner table. Yes, I am a foodie. You see I have this theory and correct me if I'm wrong but I strongly believe that almost all, if not all people who are truly passionate about their wine are in turn as dualy passionate about their food. However, the reverse is not always the case. A foodie is not necessarily, nor may he or she ever have the desire to become a wino. Wino, I hate that word, so much pretention attached to it. I'm going to stop using it. Starting now!

No comments:

Post a Comment