Welcome to Uncorked

I was born and raised in Indonesia and it was our Christmas holidays to Australia that introduced me to the wine world. We spent our time touring the Mornington Peninsula vineyards, indulging in some of the finest wines I had ever been exposed to. Every Christmas for the past 10 years we would venture back and visit our favorite wineries and culinary wizards, always seeming to uncover a couple new jems.

After graduating with a BSc from the University of Alberta, still not sure what the hell I was going to do with it...I had an epiphany, while in the shower of all places. Why don't I study wine?? It seemed so obvious. It was then that I decided to swallow the painful rebuttal from my folks, and follow my heart, for once in my life!

I moved to St. Catharines Ontario, and enrolled in the Cold Climate Oenology and Viticulture Program at Brock University. I graduated last year with flying colors...a bumpy road at times but all worth it in the end!

I have just recently returned from working a 2 and a half month harvest in the Yarra Valley and was able to pay patronage to my dear friend and winemaker, the muse behind my quest to one day become a successful winemaker.

Since my return I have thrown myself in the ISG program, and hope to complete the Sommelier Diploma by sometime next year. I have a lot in the making right now so I thought what better way to keep myself sane than to document my journey along the way. I don't know exactly where I'm headed but I know I'm excited in the now and for the future.







Search This Blog

Pages

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

BLOOM CONTINUED...Stag's Hollow


Another winery that I must mention for your own benefit is Stag's Hollow. I have met the winemaker and owner Larry now a few times and I have to say it's truly refreshing to speak to someone as humble as he is about what he does. I can tell that for each of his wines, he expresses a paternal affinity for, and proudly acknowledges each of their strengths and individuality. A proud father he should be.

The '08 Sauvignon Blanc is a real surprise. You're expecting a subdued aroma profile, citrus and wet stone coming from BC...well think again! The nose displays vivid expressions of tropical fruit, mango and a hint of pineapple, with underlying nuances of grapefruit and that characteristic petrol and touch of grassiness that we eagerly await for in a New Zealand Sauv Blanc. The palate is higher in acid which is well balanced by the predominately riper citrus and grapefruit flavors. It finishes with a lingering, very subtle grassy note. This wine is a beautiful example of Sauvignon Blanc, not for just a B.C. Sauv Blanc, it deserves far more Merritt and undoubtedly can compete with the cooler wine regions of New Zealand.

The '08 Chardonnay contains a hint of Muscat (2%), and has spent time in 40% American Oak. On the nose there are soft vanilla and honey aromas, working harmoniously with tangerine peel, Bartlet pear and stone fruit. On the palate the aromas transfuse into taste and you experience the sweet tang of tangerine and pear combined. The mouthfeel is rounded, with a slightly viscous weight that lightly coats the palate. This wine is a perfect example of using oak appropriately, it works not against but with the wine, helping to accentuate it's delicate profile.

The '06 Heritage Block 1 Cab Merlot contains approximately 48% Cab, 48% Merlot, and 5% Cabernet Franc. It has been aged in equal parts of American and French oak. This is probably the most approachable of the reds, meaning you can pop off the cork, pour, and drink. This red beauty is full of unrelenting cassis, coco and red licorice on the nose, with a touch of toastiness. The palate revisits the prominent cassis, along with black cherry and silky vanilla. It's nothing short of fabulous!

The '07 Cabernet Sauvignon contains 9% Syrah and has been aged 18 months in both American and French oak. The nose of this wine speaks loudly of red cherry, cranberry, black pepper, wet leather, and underlying meaty layers of game. The tannins are there but only moderate as they are softened by the ripe cassis, black cherry and soft cedar with hints of sweet vanilla.

The '06 Renaissance Merlot contains 5-8% Cabernet Sauvignon and the two varieties were co-fermented, meaning they were harvested at the same time and then vinified together. This accounts for alot of the structure that is apparent in this age worthy wine, as the Cab Sauv, receiving less hang time would be capable of providing the necessary backbone to support the meaty, lucious fruit offered by the Merlot.

This primary aromas of this wine first reminded me of Ribeena, the black currant fruit drink that my mom used to give me when a was a wee one. There are layers of baking spices, vanilla, and rose petal, all intermingled with ripe prunes and dried black fruits. The palate is juicy without being confused with Jammy. The Wine holds its structure on the palate and thus the fruit, although ripe is supple, not sloppy nor provocative. The mouth feel for this wine is best described as being almost chewable. Voluptuous Plums, blackberry, and spice, how could you go wrong? The wine is elegant and silky. Don't be afraid to lay this one down for a few years. It will only get better with age. IF you can't wait, like me, decant for breakfast and drink for dinner...YUM!

I have to say that at the moment, Stags Hallow has moved into my top 3 BC wineries to choose from. The whites are fresh, crisp and fruit apparent. The reds are remarkably delicious and hearty! How they're doing it, I don't know! Be sure to give them a whirl.

2 comments:

  1. I think the Stags Hollows reds displayed excellent potential for aging. Get two bottles, try one well ventilated now and stick the other under the camping equipment (or other less used junk) and forget it for a bit.:)

    ReplyDelete